You are here: Home » Recipes » Baked Goods » Creamy Ginger Tea

Creamy Ginger Tea

by Michele on January 25, 2011

Ginger TeaI love blogging.  I’ve met people from all over the world and consider myself fortunate to call them friends.  One of my favorite bloggers, Alex over at A Moderate Life, is a veritable whirlwind of cooking, living, and finger flailing on the keyboard.  Her place is a bit of sanity in a goofy world and she’s always got something good to say.

She’s started a new series called Baby Steps to a Rockin’ Life which helps us remember that we can’t take care of others unless we take care of ourselves.

Alex says, “Each day, most of us get up, and without even realizing it, we immediately think about people, animals, places and activities that are not related to ourselves. We literally put ourselves “on hold” until the needs of others are met….Most of us do not make adequate time for ourselves and our mind, body and soul suffer because of it…. It is time to change direction and start taking baby steps to putting yourself first in all areas of your life!”

We’re not talking about waking up one day and ditching it all to become the New Housewives of the Jersey Shore or whatever that crazy TV show is.  I think what Alex means is that we can’t successfully be the person we want to be unless we take the time to get to know her and nurture her…and that’s a good thing!  Every day, doing something for ourselves isn’t selfish, it’s self-sustaining.  Heck, with so many people counting on us, they should appreciate it when we take the time to take care of ourselves and ensure we’re strong and ready for anything.

So, in honor of Baby Steps to a Rockin’ Life, I suggest you take a moment to treat yourself to some health-promoting, self-sustaining, Creamy Ginger Tea.

For over two thousand years Chinese medicine has recommended the use of ginger to help cure and prevent several health problems. It is known to promote energy circulation in the body and positively increase the body’s metabolic rate.

By now most of us are aware of the antioxidant benefits of black and green tea; but adding freshly grated ginger to your morning or afternoon tea can boost it’s healthful properties even further.  Ginger is used to treat nausea, relieve joint pain, address indigestion, flatulence and diarrhea;  and it has even been said to help treat the symptoms of the common cold by loosening phlegm and spreading a toasty-warm feeling throughout the body.

Enjoy a cup of tea today!

IngredientsGinger Tea Ingredients

• One, 1-inch knob of ginger, grated (more if you like it spicy!)
  • 1 tea bag of your favorite variety.  Peach ginger, chai, plain black and plain green are my favorites for this recipe.
  • 4 cups water
  • Milk, soy milk, almond milk, half and half, etc. to taste
  • Honey or brown sugar to taste

Instructions

1. Heat the water in a tea kettle
  2. Grate the ginger into your cup and add your favorite tea.
  3. When the water comes to a boil, pour over the ginger and tea bag and allow to steep for five minutes.
  4. Add creamer and sweetener to taste.

Fit Foodista on Foodista

Print Friendly

Related Posts:

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Marlene March 31, 2011 at 5:12 am

Hi Michele
I love your blog! Went through many of your posts and I am defintily coming back. Just learning about food and that it is more than just…well food, but soul, too. I learn a lot about that on your blog and it is definitly very inspiring to me. Thank you!

Michele April 1, 2011 at 8:07 am

I’m so happy you found some valuable and inspiring information Marlene :) I left you a comment at Solution Nutrition and an invitation to a couple Fit Foodista events. Have a happy Friday :)
Best,
Michele

Medeja January 27, 2011 at 5:42 am

We sometimes have ginger tea, just with milk. For me it’s little bit too ‘strong’ :))

Michele January 27, 2011 at 6:42 am

Hi Medeja,
Thanks for visiting Fit Foodista :) That’s one of the things I like about tea – everyone can customize it to their own taste. I think I would agree with you that just milk – and nothing to sweeten – would be a little strong. Brown sugar is really yummy in this!

Miranda January 26, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Michele,

This sounds good! I love tea and have some almost every night – ran out of chai a couple weeks ago so have been settling for my Earl Grey. I want to try this tonight! BUT I am plum smack out of fresh ginger…I wonder if this would work (or taste as well) with the grated spice? Maybe I’ll just have to wait until I get back to the store on Friday…

Michele January 27, 2011 at 6:44 am

Hi Miranda :) I was thinking it might be nice to make the creamy ginger tea by using chai as your tea base. I’m not sure about the powdered ginger. I suspect it would float on the top much the same way cinnamon floats on liquid. If you try it and it works, though, be sure to let me know!
Best,
M

alex at a moderate life January 26, 2011 at 1:24 am

Hi Michelle! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderfully soothing and oh so special baby step with us all! I really really love ginger tea and drink it almost every evening after dinner. You know what they say about great minds! I am really just so happy with the support everyone is showing to the baby steps to a rockin’ life and I am so glad you can be a part of it with me! Big Hugs! alex

Michele January 26, 2011 at 7:02 am

My absolute pleasure, Alex! We can’t all spend our days in spas and mountain retreats; but we sure as heck can treat ourselves to a mini-vacation with a cup of tea and a good window to look out ;)

nancy@skinnykitchen January 26, 2011 at 12:26 am

What great healthy info. I love all types of tea and will be trying it with fresh ginger! Thanks for sharing…

Michele January 26, 2011 at 6:59 am

Hi Nancy! If you’re a chai lover, you’ll really like this one as well. Since you’re writing about the “Skinny Kitchen,” know you can also serve this simply with lemon and honey. In fact, the lemon and honey version is probably better to ease cold symptoms, since dairy isn’t always the best when we’re combating the lovely mucus monsters :)